Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Leaving Blenheim behind -- Beginning my journey south

Well, I’ve finally done it.  I’ve left Blenheim. 
My saccharine post of two weeks ago said it all – it was a hard place to leave. 
I’m happy to report that the exodus from Koanui was not as widespread or as sudden as I had feared, and many people hung around longer than I had expected.  But today marked the end of an era; the last six members of the gang left, myself included.
I took a piece of Koanui with me though.  No, I didn’t make off with the Barbie mug or Barbie bedspread, as tempting as that was. 


Nothing makes you feel young again like sleeping in a bunkbed with a Barbie bedspread.
 I got something much nicer than that – a temporary travel mate!

The lovely Hannah has joined me on my journey south.  My plan is to slowly make my way down to Wanaka and hope to find work there. If not, I may have to head back up north, cause my funds aren’t going to stretch very far at this rate.  Petrol is now $2.20 a litre, and I have yet to replace my timing belt (which is estimated to cost me upwards of $900!).
At the moment we’re in a speck on the map called Punakaiki.  It’s on the rugged West Coast of the South Island known solely for the pancake rocks that decorate the beach.
Where I was to where I am.

Or so I’ve heard anyway.  We had a late start given that we went to visit the new Blenheim homestead of fellow former Koanuiites Laura, Ben, Kim and Nathan.  Then we got a bit lost, then the rain started to fall in earnest, which made for slow, rather treacherous driving.  In any case we made it and for the first time in two months I'm sleeping somewhere other than Koanui.

So, I’m in a time of transition once again, which, as always, is scary yet exciting. I’ll be sure to keep you posted.  In the meantime, enjoy a few photos from my last two weeks in Blenheim:



The toque (or beanie, as the say here) that I made.


Planes at the surprisingly impressive Omaka airshow. 
 


Me and Daphne, the owner of Papa Col's (formerly Papa Mac's) baked potatoe stand at the Omaka airshow.  They were delicious potatoes.  If you have a chance, I recommend the Super Spud.


Ben, Hannah and I high above Picton on the Hilltop track (same one I did back in November).

Fording the river at the end of the track -- it was much colder than last time.


Ben gets Zen.



Kim, Hannh and Nathan (a.k.a. Waffles) outside of the Villa Maria winery.


Villa Maria vines.


Kim, Waffles and Hannah enjoy some Pintot Noir at Villa Maria.  They had spent many a day picking the grapes that will go into this year's crop, so this was a special tasting, I'm sure.


Gandalf gives (Laura's) Bruce a boost.

The final Koanui ping pong match.

Rainbow near Blenheim.

Jyne and I packed many boxes of truffles (and ate many too) over the past month and a half. 


Chanelle, Jyne and I hard at work at Makana.


I usually did not look this demented while rolling truffles.


1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures! And the commentary! Can't wait to hear what you'll be up to next!

    ReplyDelete