Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Visiting Pancake Rocks, and me with no maple syrup.

Before I first came to New Zealand back in 2004 I had made a list of “must see” places and things that I was determined to experience in the three weeks I was to be here.  That list included visiting Milford Sound, Hobbiton and Rotorua, seeing dolphins and sheep (obviously), and hiking on a glacier.  I was happy to have crossed off most of the items on that list, but there were still some that remained undone, even after my seven weeks here in 2009.
Last week when I visited the Punekaiki Pancake Rocks, I finally completed that list. It’s a nice feeling.
The rocks were pretty cool, as were the adjacent blowholes and caverns.  I was surprised at the well-maintained paths and signage in such a remote area.  It reminded me of how many of the natural attractions in Australia are presented, and I found it decidedly un-Kiwi. I’m not complaining – not at all -- it’s just that other than Cape Reinga up in Northland, I don’t think I’ve seen another vista or attraction in NZ that was so “packaged”.
Have a look:
Pancakey!

crossing the river near the rocks

In the cavern

A Canadian on pancake rocks.  It's like I'm the maple syrup.

Odd angle.

Better view of the rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment