Saturday, September 3, 2011

Bits and pieces: recovered stolen property, unemployment and possible deportation!

  • The Wanaka police called me at 9:40 tonight (Saturday) to inform me that my hard drive and the remnants of my passport and interenational drivers' license have been found in some bushes near my house.  Apparently the passport has been ripped up, which makes these robbers (generally an unpleasant breed of people to begin with) extra douchy.  Gah
  • Today was my last day at Treble Cone (TC).  I won't miss many aspects of the job, but I will miss that amazing view and the great people on my team.  I'm mad at myself for not skiing or snowboarding more when I had the chance. 
  • I haven't sold my car yet.  I need to sell my car.
  • My Visa expires on the 15th.  I still don`t have a replacement passport.  Don't know what to do.  Will call the High Commission and Immigration NZ to find out what to do and when to start panicking (Ha! Start!  How many of you actually believe that I haven't been panicking for weeks already?)
  • I didn't get that job at Wanaka Wastebusters.  It would have been fantastic -- interesting, challenging, in an area I love doing work towards something I believe in, and the people seemed really cool.  They told me that they thought I'd have been "a great addition to the team" but that there was a local woman with similar credentials who applied,and as a result, they couldn't have argued my case with immigration to help me get a work visa (you have to prove that there are no qualified kiwis who applied before you can sponsor a foreigner, apparently).  They seemed really appologetic and even said that if I was applying for other jobs and if I wanted to put them down as a sort of reference, I could (not sure how that would have worked, but nice nonetheless).  Needless to say, I'm pretty gutted.  I would have loved to have worked there and had the opportunity to stay here another year.
So I imagine many of you are thinking "now what?" Well, let me tell you, so am I.  Tomorrow being Sunday, there's not much I can do about the "official" things that need dealing with, so I'm going skiing and using my season's pass while I still can.  I'm also going to hopefully meet with someone who might be keen on buying my car (oh please let her buy my car!).  If I do manage to sell it, I'll have some much-needed cash that could help me, you know, get home.  Sigh.

I won't bore you with any more details until I really have some to give. Plus I'm tired, and fighting a head ache, so I'll say ta ta for now.

Oh, one last thing.  It's Fathers' Day here in NZ tomorrow, so Happy Fathers' Day to all you dads who might be reading this.  Consider it a bonus day.

No comments:

Post a Comment