Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Back at it OR Deciding not to decide

So here I am again.  Back in New Zealand.  Back in Auckland.  Back in the sun and the summer. 
The journey here was less than comfortable: five airports (Ottawa, Chicago, Los Angeles, Nadi, Auckland), four airplanes, 36 hours, one hour delay, and far too many bodies in close proximity.  But I have to say, the more long-distance flights you do, the less long they seem.  A sleeping pill doesn’t hurt either J
I was extremely fortunate (and extremely grateful) to have a ride from the airport courtesy of my friend S____, a delightful German girl I met in Wanaka in October.  We stayed in touch and it happened that we were both in Auckland at the same time so she very kindly offered to pick me up in her rental car.  So sweet of her.  Unfortunately for me she was on her way home (to surprise her parents a few days early no less) the following day, so our time together was brief.
So I’m back at Freeman’s Lodge in Auckland and it’s a bit of a homecoming.  It was here that I first alighted in NZ four months ago, and where I stayed before heading to Sydney in December.  I was very happy to find safe and sound the bag I’d ferretted away in the storage closet back then.
In the days since arriving, I am not proud to say, I have been less than productive. 
I’ve lounged around my dorm room chatting with other listless folk.  I’ve put together a portfolio (though it’s not as slick as I’d like. I may be picking some of my former colleagues’ brains for tips – be warned). I’ve perused magazines that previous guests have left behind (did you know that Jennifer and Angelina are in yet another feud? Riveting! And that Cameron Diaz exercises? Shocking!).  
I’ve debated the merits of buying a car (which looks like a sensible choice given my indulgent packing this time around).  I’ve half-heartedly started looking for a car. I’ve stressed about my financial situation. 
And I’ve endlessly vacillated between countless choices about my life – Should I look for work immediately or volunteer for a bit in exchange for room and board? Should I head north or south? Or should I stay put in Auckland? Do I want to be in a city or in the country? Do I want to look for “real” work in an office? Or do I seize this opportunity to try something totally different and pick fruit or prune vines for a few weeks?
With all this decision making threatening to drive me nuts, I’ve decided not to decide for the time being.  Instead, I’m heading up to Northland for a few days with a girl I’ve met in the hostel.  We’re renting a car and hoping for good weather for the beaches up there (it’s been a miserably stormy day).
When I return on Saturday I’ll concentrate my immediate efforts on purchasing a vehicle (a daunting task for a newby such as myself) and deciding on the volunteer/work situation.
I will just keep repeating my mantra: No matter what I choose, it’s the right choice J

1 comment: