Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Packer’s regret

People tend to laugh at me for beginning my packing weeks, or even sometimes months in advance of a trip.  I like packing.  It’s exciting.  And apparently, I need many moons to critically assess my baggage, cause last-minute Nadine does not make the best choices.
How many blue/turquoise shirts can one person own?
Many, it appears.  And evidently one can somehow manage to pack them all in one’s suitcase without realizing the monochromatic upper-body wardrobe one is creating for oneself. 
Seriously.  I have in my bag not one. Not two. But three blue/turquoise tank tops.  I also have a turquoise t-shirt, a turquoise blouson, and a turquoise dress.  Oh.  And turquoise earrings. WTF was I thinking? I never thought I had so much of the aquamarine stuff, but apparently, sartorially speaking, it’s one of my favourite colours.  And it seems that when I’m frantically packing at the last minute, it’s my go-to hue. 
And that’s not my only folly.
I abandoned my general approach to packing (less is more) for a decidedly more permissive style.  I fully took advantage of the fact that I was allowed to bring two checked bags on this trip and managed not only to fill a 70L backpack, but a massive rolling duffel bag as well. I have with me two pairs of jeans, three dresses, three bathing suits, two pairs of black leggings, two pairs of yoga pants, at least six bottles of sunscreen and a whopping eight pairs of shoes (!!!!!!!). And I just realized that the brown pair I brought doesn’t really match any of the pants or dresses I have with me. Ouch. 
Honestly, what was I thinking?
So now, though I wasn’t sold on the idea, I’m going to have to buy a car to manoeuvre about.  Oh well.  I’m sure it’ll turn out to be a good thing after all.  This way I’ll be mobile, will be able to get to areas that previously have been off limits, and, if worse comes to worse, I can sleep in the car! 
Classiness insues.

No comments:

Post a Comment