Monday, February 28, 2011

Comfort zone? What comfort zone?

You’ll never guess what I’ve been up to.

I know the Five Families will be shocked to hear it, but I went camping the other night. 

Voluntarily!  On my own!  In the rain!

Granted, it wasn’t really camping;  I slept in my car, but that was only due to the aforementioned rain.  I’m happy to report that Gandalf the White is a decent, if not comfortable, place to rest one’s head for the night.

Along highway 2, halfway between Opotiki and Gisborne, there’s a Department of Conservation (affectionately known as D.O.C and pronounced “Doc”) campsite.  For the rock bottom price of $7 (which I dutifully placed in the provided envelope and slipped into the honesty box), I was able to set up camp, as it were, for the night. 

It required a fair bit of manoeuvring to make room for my bed, but I managed, and after a meal of crackers, cheese, pear, and chips, I settled in for the night.

When I woke up, it was bright and sunny so I took a bunch of pictures.  Let me show you some!

The stream next to the campsite.  That bridge in the background was part of the highway system until 1965.  It's off-limits now.

Gandalf the White in all his glory.

Pretty!

The road to Gisborne.

Don't worry.  I'm not actually moving at this point.

One of the many hills under which the campsite was nestled.

No comments:

Post a Comment