Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Nearly-mid-trip Point

May 10, 2012, 10:30am Sydney Time (12:30 pm NZ time; 8:30pm May 9th Ontario time)
Usually when I travel I’m ultra organized; my bag will be pre-packed weeks in advance, I’ll plan and replan the contents of my carryon over and over again. At the airport I’m generally efficient and organized with my documents, passport, a pen, gum and snacks all in their place and I rarely find myself lost or confused.
Today however, I’m a disaster.  My bags were packed last minute.  My carryon is a mess and is lacking basic things like a change of shirt or snacks.  I managed to get confused at the check-in gates and mistook the Virgin Blue desk for the Air New Zealand one (to be fair, the Air New Zealand logo was on the VB screens).  Once in Sydney, I completely missed the international transfers hall (which was partially hidden by plywood due to construction, so it wasn’t THAT big of a cock up, right?) and ended up in the wrong line.
I have no currency of either of the two countries I’m passing through in the next 30 hours , nor of my final destination.  I’m a mess.
May 10, 2012, 11:30 Sydney  (1:30 NZ, 9:30 Ontario)
I’m almost at the half-way point of my trip.  Basically every half hour is 1% of the trip.  I’m now at the 23-1/2 hour mark, so 47% done.
I’ve been in Sydney’s nice airport since 8:30 and my flight leaves at 1:50, so nearly done.  I’ve been whiling away the hours wandering the chic shops (Armani and Coach have shops here, to give you an idea of what’s on offer), watching Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (which I highly recommend), and endlessly sampling creams and lotions at the duty free. So far I’ve tried an organic oil, a sheep placenta-based serum, a “wrinkle plumper” by one of the big cosmetic companies (can’t remember which) and even dared to take a few squirts of this one night cream that’s selling at $495 AUD.  I don’t think my face has ever been this moisturized.
I really wish I could go outside.  It’s gorgeous and 24 degrees.  And my best friend who’s been living in Sydney is a mere few kilometres away.  Unfortunately my layover was just too short to organize a visit.  Hopefully on my way back I’ll be able to connect with her.

May 10, 2012, 12:00 Sydney  (2:00 NZ, 10:00 Ontario)
Ugh.  I'd been craving asian noodles and was happy to see a noodle bar here.  I reluctantly forked out $17 for a plate of Singapore noodles and they were nasty -- salty, heavy on the curry, fatty chicken and just all-round disappointing.  Need to get rid of this taste.
May 10, 2012, 12:30 Sydney  (2:30 NZ, 10:30 Ontario)
Made three nice discoveries at the airport -- discounted Easter chocolate on sale at one of the shops, $2 massage chairs and coffee-flavoured vodka.  Niiiiiiiice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment