Saturday, October 2, 2010

Back to Auckland and beyond to the Coromandel, Matamata and to a certain movie set

As you no doubt deducted from the title, I’m back in New Zealand (with a fabulous tan).  Over the past two days I’ve picked up a few things – a functioning bank card for my kiwi bank account, a cell phone, a sore back (due to rather cramped living quarters in Auckland – it was so overbooked that the owner had me sleeping on a mattress on the floor of a tiny two-bed room) and two travel companions. 
I used to babysit Chrissy way back in the day, and now she and her husband Nick are in New Zealand for a few weeks, and I’m tagging along for the ride.  It’s nice to have some company (and such good company at that).
We met up this morning and quickly zipped out of the city in their rental car with no real plan in mind.  Quickly determining that I had never been to the Coromandel, and had always wanted to go, we chose our destination as we were driving north.
On the way, we stopped off in the small town of Matamata whose main claim to fame is being the closest town to where they filmed the Hobbiton scenes in Lord of the Rings. 
What is up with my leg position?

I wasn’t sure I was up to paying the $66 fee to take the tour of the set for a second time (I’d been in 2004), but I’m so glad I did.  I can’t say much, due to a confidentiality agreement I signed, but let’s just say the place looks rather different than it did six years ago.  I’ll let you figure out the rest. ;)
In any case, I danced under the party tree once more.  Squee!
I'd post some of the many many pictures I took, but I could be sued, apparently.  So instead enjoy this picture of this Hobbit-fied toilet paper roll holder in the Shire's Rest café.

After the tour (and the included sheep shearing demo by a local farmer) we set off on our way again due North East. 
Don't mind me.  I'm resigned to my fate of impending baaaaaaahldness.
After a few hours of driving along typically New Zealand winding roads, the light was failing, my stomach was churning, and we were ready to stop for the night.  So stop we have, in the town of Tairua.  This place is obviously a holiday mecca in the summer months, but at the moment it’s deadsville.  We are the only people staying in our hostel other than the guy running the place and his dog.  It’s nice after the too-cosy sleeping situation in Auckland.
Tomorrow bright and early we’re off to Hot Water Beach.  We have to get there between 7:30 and 9:30 to take advantage of the low tide.  Of course it’ll be cold, but apparently if we dig a hole in the sand, the water will be warm. 
Will it be?  Or will we freeze our ta-tas off?  Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. confidentiality agreement? really?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. I'm sure the studio is expecting photos to be posted though, cause if they were really worried about "leaks" they'd have stopped the tours by now, or at least forbidden us from taking photos during the reconstruction.

    ReplyDelete