Saturday, October 9, 2010

Christchurch in the spring

Christchurch holds a special place in my heart.  It’s where I was first introduced to New Zealand six years ago, and was my last port of call when I was here in 2009. 
It boasts an absolutely amazing botanical garden, some pretty nice architecture, and a pretty well-developed arts scene.
It’s NZ’s second biggest city with a mere 386,100 residents (Auckland has about a million, while Wellington, the capital, has very slightly less people than Christchurch at 386,000).
It was also the site of a pretty huge earthquake at the beginning of Septembe – it measured 7.1 on the Richter scale. I didn’t know what to expect coming back – crumbled buildings, closed businesses, whatever.  I’m very happy to report that other than the odd broken window, a few tarped-up roofs, most houses -- and the landmarks -- seem to be in tiptop shape.

In fact, had I not known about the quake, I wouldn’t have believed that one took place.  That’s not to say there isn’t any damage at all – there are a few buildings that have had to be completely razed, and some evidence of fire damage elsewhere. But all in all, I was relieved to see that for the most part, the Christchurch I remembered remains.

Among the worst damage I've seen.
We decided to splurge on our accommodation Friday night, as Christina had come down with a nasty cold, and some hotels were offering some decent deals.  We stayed at the Ibis, which is right off of Cathedral Square – the main centre of the city.  It was decent.  Most importantly, it was warm.
We just took a walk around part of the botanical gardens, and through the downtown before retiring for the night.  We were all pretty wiped, so we struggled through some truly bad TV, did some laundry (which did not dry – you read it here, don’t use the laundry facility at the the Ibis hotel in Christchurch.  It’s a gyp.) and went to sleep.

Swing tree
Today was a sad day.  It was grey, dreary, a little rainy, and it was my last day with Christina and Nick.  They’re off to the amazing West Coast via Arthurs Pass, while I’m staying here in Christchurch for a few more days before heading South to Dunedin to do my interview for Otago University on Wednesday.
I was a little emotional when I bid them farewell.  It’s been a great week and I’ve especially enjoyed their company.  I’ve known Chrissy for at least 23 years – we grew up on the same street, I used to babysit her and her sisters, and our families still get together at least three times a year – but I’ve never really spent much time with her as an adult.  Nick’s been a part of her life for some 10+ years, so I’ve been aware of him, have likely talked to him a few times, but I’ve never really gotten to know him.  I’m so glad I’ve had this opportunity to know them better.  They’re great people, and so right for each other.
So fare thee well Chrissy and Nick. I hope you had a great time with me, cause I sure did with you.  And Jean and Wilf, I’m sorry I won’t be able to give you updates on their movements anymore. You’ll have to rely on them J
Chrissy and Nick do their impression of Japanese tourists.
So what’s next?  As I said, I have that interview next week.  After that, my next obligation is in mid-November when I’m expected in Wellington for an assessment exercise at Victoria University.  Between next Thursday and then, my life is an open slate.  I hope to find a place near Dunedin or Wanaka to do some WWOOFING (volunteering on organic farms in exchange for room and board).  I also wouldn’t mind finding a bit of paying work for a week or two, though I’m not sure if that’s realistic.
In any case, I do plan on continuing to write, so keep visiting!  And please feel free to comment.  I want to make sure I’m not just writing into the ether (thanks for commenting mom and zoobabe!)

1 comment: