Monday, October 18, 2010

Getting busy in Dunedin (not THAT way)

I’ve now been in Dunedin a full week, and a good week it has been. 
For the first time in months, I’ve had obligations and a schedule, and it’s been rather nice -- a little respite from my flotsam and jetsam existence.
My first foray into the world of Wwoofing was successful, if atypical.  Not having my own means of transport other that my tired feet, I chose a place for its proximity to Dunedin (aka, within it). I was delighted to find myself hosted in a section of the city I’d never been before.  Opoho is on the northern side of town, waaaaaaaaaaaaaay up the hills. The views were amazing.
This is what I woke up to for three days.

My host was a delightfully kooky woman who works a full-time job, is starting two small businesses, rents out a room to students, and hosts woofers. Oh, and she has a rambunctious and adorable dog who needs a lot of attention.  Phew.  I’m tired just writing about all she does.
Isabella Rosselini -- though she's only as tall as my mid-shin, she can jump to nearly shoulder hight.  We had many a "fetch" session.
While there, I busied myself setting up a flower garden (man, do I not know much about gardening), cleaning, weeding, taking care of the dog (Isabella Rosselini), and reworking some text for a website she plans on launching soon.  I learned a lot about lynchgates, and hopefully some of my handiwork will help make a few sales!
My handiwork (I have much to learn).

There was another woofer staying with her at the same time as me, and she was great company.  An American in her early 20s, C____ (name withheld in case she wants to remain anonymous) has been in Dunedin a few weeks and happily took me around to St-Clair (nice beachy area) and Lookout Point (even further up the hill in Opoho – it was a 45-minute climb!) where we did a bit of walking and chatting.  Twas grand.


St Clair.  Though I was shivering in three layers of clothing, some crazy kiwis were actually swimming. brrrrr.

From atop Lookout Point.  It was crazy steep and a loooong walk up.  But what a view!

I reluctantly left my private room in Opoho yesterday and returned to my hostel, only to find that I had a private room! No one else was staying in my dorm, so I had yet another night of solitude.  Never take a night by yourself for granted folks.  It really is a luxury these days J
Today was spent at Arthur Street School which literally is just around the corner from my hostel. It’s a pretty small school with some 120 students, and it reminded me a lot of my own primary school, Ste-Croix, in that all the students seemed to know each other, regardless of age.  I had a good day there.  The principal and deputy principal had set up a whole schedule for me (printed and everything!) so that I am spending time with every age group over the two days I’m spending there.

I expected to like the younger groups and dislike working with the older kids, but they were all so well-behaved, that both experiences were good. 
We’ll see how tomorrow goes, but I’m feeling a bit more confident about it all now.
So what’s next? I’m thinking Wanaka deserves another visit, and hopefully I’ll be able to do a bit of woofing there too.  Perhaps a few days basking in the gorgeous views in the tiny valley-village of Mount Cook are also in the cards.  Eventually though, I plan on heading up to the top of the South Island where I hope to do some more tramping, and maybe warm up.
In other news, I submitted an editorial to one of the papers here, but so far, it doesn’t look like they’re going to run it (booooooo).  If I don’t hear from them in the next few days, I’ll post the text here, so at least my brilliant prose won’t be lost in the ether.
Oh, and at the tender age of three months, my laptop battery has decided it’s had enough of this cruel world and has quietly and suddenly expired.  Luckily I can still use my computer if it’s plugged in, but no wandering for me.  It also looks unlikely that I’ll be finding a replacement here, so it may have to wait until Christmas and Canada.
Dunedin Botanical Gardens

Some cliffs in St Clair.  There are sections that look like Giants' Causeway.

From Lookout Point.  I really should learn to smile like a human being in photos

Charming sign about a 30-second walk from the (seriously) very urban house where I was staying.

Bunch of posts at St Clair beach

Some sheep just going about their business, completely oblivious to their stunning surroundings

3 comments:

  1. that last pic is gorgeous, and that dog is the cutest! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you so that you get into the graduate program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still giggling over your 'smile like a human being' comment - you're right!
    I'm so glad you're having this experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found this blog!
    I'm so inspired by what you are doing.
    How damn exciting.

    ReplyDelete