Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The dealio

There's nothing too remarkable about me. I grew up in a village in Ontario's cottage country, headed to Ottawa for university at 18, started working full time right out of school, and never left. 

Until now.  

A few months ago I decided to face my fears and follow a dream of mine of living in New Zealand.  So I quit my great, cushy job, left my comfortable apartment, said "bye" to my wonderful friends and to my life as I knew it.

So here I am.  On the cusp of my 32nd year heading off to the land of the long white cloud.


I'm no virgin to the land of sheep, kiwis and hobbits. I first made the looooooong voyage over in September 2004 for a short three week initiation.  As soon as I left, I was planning my next trip there.  It took nearly five years, but in January 2009 I did make it back, this time for a meatier seven week tour.


I'd been worried that I'd be disapointed the second time around.  That the forests would seem less green, the people less friendly, the vistas less awe-inspiring, the country less welcoming.  They weren't. Again, as soon as I left New Zealand, I was thinking of when - and how - I could return.

And now I'm going.  My plans are rather loosey goosey at the moment.  I have a working holiday Visa for both NZ and Australia (which I have to "activate" by arriving in each country before mid-October or else they aren't valid anymore) which will allow me to work over the next year.  I'm hoping to do some WOOFing (willing workers on organic farms - in other words, volunteer on farms in exchange for room and board), and I've applied for teachers' college at two kiwi universities, and classes would begin in January.

I'm looking forward to it all, though, of course, I'm nervous. It'll be my first solo trip and loneliness is a concern, but I'm really happy I'm doing this and I'm proud of myself for forging ahead dispite my fears -- probably a first for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment