Saturday, September 18, 2010

Lazy in Auckland

It`s really unpleasant being sick in a hostel.  I'm tired, I'm cranky, I just want to be left alone or be waited upon.  Neither is bound to happen.

I'm also keenly aware that I'm very likely sharing my germs with the four strangers with whom I'm cohabitating.  I know I'd hate having to share quarters with a sicko. Everyone's been very nice though, and I'm taking care to wash my hands frequently and to sneeze into my sleeve. 

There's a fifth bed off camera.  Mine's the one furthest to the right.
There's a nice group of people here at the moment.  On Friday nine of us headed out to a bar downtown and had a pretty good time (I got hit on!  Twice!).  And yesterday five of us went to a nearby Japanese restaurant for dinner.

There's a pair of Scottish brothers who seem hell bent to prove the stereotypes about their countrymen true.  They're a total riot, and I'm amazed at their consumption levels and apparent lack of any repercussions.  There's also deux français who are really great.  They actually jumped to my defence yesterday when another very snooty French chick made some derogatory remark about my accent  (Vache.)

The last two days have been less than eventful.  The combination of cancelled ferries (which were to take me to one of the nearby islands yesterday or today) and the common cold have rendered me lazy and unambitious. 

Yesterday my only real accomplishment was doing my laundry.  The rest of the day I holed up in the room and alternately read or watched tv on the Internet. I finally succumbed to cabin fever and went for a walk at around 3:00, but it wasn't a long one, and I was soon back on my comfy bed.  I did rouse myself long enough to go to that aforementionned dinner however (don't want to appear too antisocial).

Today the weather is predictably unpredictable.  At the moment it's raining cats and dogs but ten minutes ago, it was gorgeous and sunny.  In ten minutes it'll probably be back to blue skies.  When dressing, layers is definitely the name of the game here.  What hasn't been erratic is the wind.  It's been steady for the past three days.  The sidwalks are littered with debree from trees -- branches, palm fronds, leaves, flowers -- and I was cursing my decision to leave the hostel without a hat to keep my hair in check.


This is very likely the wost length of hair to have, wind-wise.  It's long enough that it hits you in the face, but too short to tie back in a ponytail.
 But leave the hostel I did.  I went for coffee (flat white!) with one of my roommates and then I headed up solo to Mount Eden, one of the 49 dormant volcanoes in the Auckland area.  This one boasts the title of highest natural point in Auckland at 196 feet.  There's a cone at the top that's 50 feet deep and pretty cool to see.  (weather update: now sunny and gorgeous).
Some 15,000 years ago, that grassy knoll was liquid hot MAGMA (cue Dr. Evil pinky mouth)
The view from up there is pretty spectacular too.

On top of the world!
Tomorrow I unfortunately have to leave for Brisbane.  I had booked the flight months ago with the idea of just landing here to activate my Visa, then heading up to warmer Australia to do the same.  The plan was to get my scuba diving certification, but it appears that there aren't any courses being offered next week in the Brisbane area. My only option would be to either fork out $400 to take a flight up to Townsville, or sit on a bus for 8 hours each way.  No thanks. 

(weather update: raining so hard it feels like the windows will open)

So looks like I'm headed to Brisbane without a solid plan.  I'll likely head to the marvelous North Stradbroke Island, and take advantage of its uncrowded beaches, and maybe do one or two touristy things. 

Let's just hope the weather is better than here :)

1 comment:

  1. Hope you feel better.
    Glad you're meeting people and doing stuff in spite of it all.

    ReplyDelete